State Highpoint Number Eighteen:


IOWA (18)
Date: Monday, September 11, 2000
Peak: Hawkeye Point
Height: 1,670 feet
Vertical Climb: 10 feet
Round-trip Mileage: 0.1 miles
Peak Class: #1
Height Rank: #42 of 50
Difficulty Rank: #41 of 50


I had been looking forward to the Iowa highpoint for some time--it is located near Spirit Lake and an old friend from my childhood in Windsor lived there. I was best friends with his sons and it was good to see him again and I spent half a day there. I then headed west toward Sibley and the high point of Iowa. At 12:30 arrived at the Sterler Farm and knocked on the door. She was eating lunch but was real nice and directed me to the high point and asked me to sign their log book. The point was well marked but I think the only people who actually visit are Highpointer Club members and they seem to have a good rapport with the family.
It was another beautiful day with a brisk breeze. I took some pictures of the high point which is located at the end of some feed bins. Behind me and to two sides were acres and acres of cornfields. A few people have left license plates there and I signed the log book and left a dollar for one of the “Iowa High Point” keychains.

No comments:

Post a Comment