State Highpoints Numbers 2 & 3:

Florida (2)

Date: Wednesday, November 3, 1999
Peak: Lakewood (Britton Hill)
Height: 345 feet
Vertical Climb: 0 feet
Round-trip Mileage: 0 miles
Peak Class: #1
Height Rank: #50 of 50
Difficulty Rank: #50 of 50

After my first highpoint in October, I took off on a trip through the southern Gulf states and added more states to my list. On November 4, I did two state highpoints and went from the 14th highest in Texas to the lowest--Florida, only 345 feet above sea level. Actually it is one of those state parks listed as a "drive up." After getting up early in the morning, I took I-10 east across Pensacola Bay and East Bay and drove through forested Interstate until Exit 12 at Crestview. There was frost on the truck in the morning and the temperature had been very close to freezing. A local bank sign said 36 degrees as I left town. The day was beautiful---sunny and pale blue skies and very little wind which didn’t make the cold seem so bad. Since I was driving directly east, I was going into the sun but it wasn’t that far to Crestview.
At Crestview took Hwy 85 north towards Alabama. Rolling hills and lots of pine trees. Forested woody area. Filled up with gas at an Amoco station in Crestview. The prices were the same in all the stations, but when I pulled in, a girl came out and told me it was full service regardless of the price. First time that’s happened in years. Got some more coffee and continued north.
The road was a pleasant two-lane blacktop in good condition and very clean. The trees still had leaves---some, a few, had red and yellow leaves but most still had the green leaves and there were a lot of pines and evergreens.
Drove through Laurel Hill which was very small and very clean. The high school mascot is the Laurel Hill Hobos. Entered Alabama at Florala which had a beautiful lake to the left. The town itself was about three blocks of old brick buildings but the town was also very clean. Lots of antique stores but I didn’t stop at any of them. Took Hwy 331 and then south but the directions I had weren’t very good and I stopped at a Sheriff’s substation and was asking directions when a female sheriff’s deputy pulled in and acted real grouchy but I think she was joking with the person I was talking to. She gave me good directions to the county park with the high peak. Took Walton County Road 147 and followed it about two miles until it dead-ended. Took a left on County Road 285 north and quickly found the small park. Took some pictures at the marker---sorry now I didn’t bring my tripod---couldn’t get one of myself by the marker.
Played with the Magellan GPS and it logged my latitude and longitude closely but I couldn’t verify the altitude. The view was nice---even though the altitude is only 345 feet (lowest in America) you have a fairly nice panorama view to the south of rolling forested hills. The weather had warmed up to where I was comfortable with just a tee shirt and long jeans.
The county park had a couple of picnic tables with a pavilion and was very well maintained. There was a sign stating highest point in Florida as you pull into the parking lot and there is a nice granite marker at the exact point but I didn’t see a USGS marker.

ALABAMA (3)

Date: Wednesday, November 3, 1999
Peak: Cheaha Mountain
Height: 2,407 feet
Vertical Climb: 0 feet
Round-trip Mileage: 0 miles
Peak Class: #1
Height Rank: #35 of 50
Difficulty Rank: #46 of 50


After leaving Florida, I drove north into Alabama towards Cheaha Mountain and entered the park at 3:30---the sign said 2407 elevation but I can see peaks above the entrance. There weren’t any cabins available but I got a motel room on the top of the mountain. A little more expensive than I wanted---$56---but I really like it here. Drove the loop up to the highest point and they have a really neat CCC stone tower with a USGS marker at the base of the tower. Climbed the tower and looked around then went back down. Asked a couple to take a picture of me and then I shot some pictures and continued around the loop back to the lodge.
Moved my stuff into the room---very nice. Drove the main loop and checked out the abandoned lodge, the chapel, and made a one-mile round trip hike to Pulpit Rocks which was just breathtaking that late in the day. After a hike through the forest, I came out on a bluff and there was a forested valley below that reminded me a lot of Arkansas. The sun was setting right in front of me but as it went to one side, I sat on the rocks and just enjoyed the beautiful sunset. Just inspirational and awe-inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment